How The F**k Did This Happen? (Part 2)

August 2016…

(Enter cancer ?)

Well, hindsight is 20/20.

The summer of 2016 I felt a lump in my left breast. They were lumpy to begin with, but this one felt different. I went to see my family doctor, who assured me it was probably nothing to be concerned about, but sent me for an ultrasound & mammogram to be safe.

Interestingly enough, I biked to that appointment with my head going to ‘what if the lump is cancer? What would I do?

Well, they did the ultrasound and determined it was a series of fibroid cysts and then went on to say I was too young for a mammogram. I was sent away, with no request for monitoring or a follow up.

I will never know if it was ‘nothing’ that day…

BUT, somewhere between August 2016 and August 2017 it DID become something. Like a flash fire, it went from nothing to stage four.

You see, the late spring of 2017, Sheldon & I backpacked Thailand. It was there that I noticed back pain setting in. I thought for sure it was because we were hiking and I was determined to be the lone gal in my group of seven to prove that I was as strong as my male counterparts. I stayed at the front, I pushed as hard as I could, and so that must be where the pain was stemming from. Right?

WRONG. By summer 2017 my low back pain was with me daily. I went back to my doctor with concern. I must have a herniated disc or surely God ‘SI joint dysfunction?’ (Thanks Google)

Two massage therapists, three chiropractors, & two more doctor’s appointments, which led me to x-rays in November 2017. STILL proved there was nothing wrong with me…I was at a loss. Getting in and out of the car was now proving difficult. I walked with a permanent limp and was no longer able to workout.

I started taking about 8-10 ‘Robax Platinum’ a day coupled with Extra Strength Tylenol to drown out the pain. It didn’t work.

December 2017, I was a barely functioning human (while still working full time and travelling back and forth to the US for shows & meetings and crying every night in bed with pain). Fast forward to Christmas in Newfoundland…my dad had me hooked me up to his ‘Doctor Ho’ muscle pads, relatives gave me prescription pain meds & I was loosing my appetite and ability to move. THEN it happened…

We arrived back in Toronto on Dec 30th in the evening. That flight home was the most pain I had ever experienced in my life. I cried and went to bed.

6:15am, December 31st. I can’t get up. My ribs felt like they were going to collapse and I couldn’t roll over. I simply cried. ‘Sheldon, I can’t move.’ ‘I’m physically stuck.’ ‘I’m afraid.’

He picked me up out of bed. He changed my clothes, put my hair in a ponytail and carried me to the car.

And so it began, a visit to the emergency, equipped with a pain drip and an outburst of tears to the doctor. ‘ THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME.’ Please help me. PLEASE.

More x-rays, blood work, urine test & an MRI on January 4th would then explain it all.

January 5th. The day my life changed forever…

To be continued…






Burin, Newfoundland - December 2017

Burin, Newfoundland - December 2017

Island off of Krabi, Thailand - May 2017

Island off of Krabi, Thailand - May 2017

Jungle, North of Chiang Mai, Thailand - May 2017

Jungle, North of Chiang Mai, Thailand - May 2017

St. Joseph’s Emergency - December 2017

St. Joseph’s Emergency - December 2017